Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Mother's Plea




 My dear daughter,

  the day you see me old,
  I ask. 
 please be patient,
  but above all
  try to understand.

If when we talk,
I repeat the same thing a thousand times,
do not interrupt me to say "I already told that"
only listen to me please.

And remember the days when you were a kid
and I read the same story 
night after night 
until you stayed asleep.

When I want to bathe,
do not scold me 
and please do not try to embarrass me,
just remember the times I had to chase you
with the thousand excuses 
that you used as a kid.

When you see my ignorance of the new technology,
give me the time to learn,
and please do not do those eyes
or those desperate faces.

Remember my dear, 
I taught you to do many things
such as eating properly,
getting dressed 
and combing
 for yourself
and how to confront
and deal with life.

The day I notice that I'm getting old,
please bear with me
and try to understand everything. 

If you occasionally lose the memory 
or the thread of the conversation,
give me time to remember 
and if I can not,
do not get nervous, 
impatient 
or arrogant. 

Just keep in mind
in your heart
that the most important thing for me 
is being with you 
and listening to you.

And when my tired old legs  
do not leave me walking as before,
give me your hand,
in the same way that I offered them
 when you took your first steps.

When these days come, 
you should not feel sad
or incompetent 
to see me so,
I ask only 
that you're with me,
you try to understand me 
and help me
while I finish my life 
with love.

And with great affection 
for the gift of time and life,
we had the joy of sharing together,
I appreciate it.

With a huge smile
and the immense love I have always had,
just want to say 
I love you,
my dear daughter ......

Anonymous


                               (translated from a Spanish posting, and edited, and re-formated)

No comments:

Post a Comment